Nous utilisons des cookies pour garantir la meilleure expérience sur notre site. Si vous continuez à utiliser celui-ci, nous considérons que vous en acceptez l'utilisation. plus d'informations
Book now
en
fr en de

«L’Abbaye is celebrating in 2018, 1000 years of existence, but its history started long before… »

THE HISTORY OF ABBAYE

The privileged location of Talloires has without doubt been inhabited for innumerable years (it is known that the via consularis from Milan to Strasbourg reached Geneva via Faverges by passing along one of the lake's shore).
Queen Thiberge, during her long exile, arranged for a Cella to be built for her in Talloires.Monks took up residence there, built their own cells and formed the embryo of a small monastery.
In the 17th century the abbey was twice destroyed by the fire. In 1674 a brief of pope Clément X displayed the insignia of the priory in the Abbaye Royale.In 1681 the reconstruction of the actual building was finished. After the French revolution the monastery became a winemaking company and in 1840 horse stables. In 1862 it becomes an inn and the first hotel restaurant on the banks of Lake Annecy.
Today you can still admire the cloister, the gallery with the doors to ancient cells of the monks, the Prior’s room, …

LOTHAIRE II

Talloires entered into history books in 866 .Lothaire II – the great grand son of Charlemagne – presented the village to his first wife Thiberge with an order to reside there after their divorce. She lived there until her death, but during her long exile she arranged for a Cella (a small, modest yet durable religious establishment) to be built for her in Talloires, The chapple surrounded by many shelters and open to wandering monks, was built on the site where later the famous abbey would stand.

A number of monks took up residence there, built their own cells and formed the embryo of a small monastery.

Over six centuries the priory became rich thanks to gifts from the bishops, Counts of Geneva and the Dukes of Savoie.

RODOLPHE III AND ERMENGARDE

One hundred and fifty years later, the domain of Talloires was given to l'Abbey Bénédictine de Savigny (near Lyon) by the king and queen of Bourgogne, Rodolphe III and Ermengarde. The first prior, Germain, with the help of the people of Talloiresover several years, erected a grand and beautiful church (today no longer standing) on the site of Thiberge's Cella. Soon other buildings were constructed nearby to accommodate the monks at this marvelous location, formed by the bay which is enclosed by the surreally contoured mountains.

Clément X

In 1674, a brief of pope Clément X displayed the insignia of the priory inthe Abbaye Royale. Then began the demise. The monks – veritable feudal lords – led dissolute lives which provoked a spirit of revolt among the population. The remnants of the splendor only serve to consolidate our conception of this era.

Revolution

The revolution did not reach Talloires until July 1792. And then the belfry of the abbatial church collapsed (it is said that the bells still lay at the bottom of the lake) and 700 years of archives fed the flame of an immense funeral pyre at La place des Marronniers...

The ruins were razed permanently in 1833.

paul Cézanne

Talloires was forgotten for many decades until the beauty of its surroundings began to attract a privileged society of artists, writers, and ladies and gentlemen of leisure. One inn by the lake, followed by a second, welcomed travelers arriving from Annecy by boat.

learn more

FROM THE TWENTIETH CENTURY TO TODAY

It is since the turn of the century that the world-renowned village of Talloireshas blossomed, equally due to its admirable location, its cuisine, and a welcome of the highest order

Photo Gallery