A marina, several beaches numerous
walks and parks (Paquier, Albigny, Marquisats, jardins de l’Europe) are all
situated along the lakeside.
Due to its proximity to the lake, a natural rampart and resource at the same
time, it has been a strong influence on Annecy and this is clearly shown in the
way the town has evolved. The old town still features its characteristic
traboules (narrow hidden passages through buildings) and a chaotic entanglement
of houses and streets dating back to the Middle Ages which separate the old
town from the rest of the urban area can still be found (porte Sainte Claire,
The old town is very popular with tourists and its small pedestrian streets
(rue Sainte Claire, rue Carnot, rue Royale) along with its old prisons and
castle are some of the highlights not to be missed by any visitor.
Situated at the northern end of the lake and encircled by Annecy le Vieux, Sevrier, La Puya
bend, Cran, Seynod and the Semnoz
mountain, this lakeside plain has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The
Allobroges Gallic tribes surrended the place to the Romans who established the
settlement of Boutae in 35.
The castle of the Count of Savoy, whose construction was started at the
beginning of the 12th century, is located on the heights of Annecy. It became
the capital of the Counts of Geneva in the 14th century before being ceded to
the Count of Savoy. The town became French in 1860.
from the Annecy